Odeon of Herodes Atticus
The Odeon of Herodes Atticus, or the Irodeion as it is called today, was built on the south-western slope of the rock of the Acropolis during the Roman era, by the Athenian magnate Herod Atticus. Following the city’s decline in the Byzantine era, the Odeon became derelict and was buried under tons of debris.
During Ottoman occupation, foreign visitors gave the scant remains various names, most of them invented. In 1764, the British archaeologist Chandler revived interest in the Odeon but it wasn’t until the 19th century that ruins of the ancient theatre came to light.
The Odeon was refurbished in the 1950s and has since been used for cultural events, such as the Athens Festival.