The Athens Concert Hall is a cultural complex originally founded in 1953 by the Friends of Music Society.
After the Greek state granted land for the hall’s construction in 1956, the society assigned a team of specialist acoustic architects and engineers to design the facility subsidised by funds from the famous Greek conductor Dimitris Mitropoulos, who donated the proceedings from his concerts with the New York Philharmonic in Athens.
Initial construction of the hall finally got under way in the 1970s. Thanks to additional donations from Labros Eftaxias and the state, the project was completed 15 years after initial construction began.
The Athens Concert Hall opened its doors in 1991, with more halls added later. The Concert Hall is directly accessible from the Metro station of the same name.