Located on Vasilissis Sofias Street, the Eginition Hospital was built between 1901 and 1909 and was funded from the bequest of Dionysios Chatzis (Eginitis), professor of specialised nosology at the Athens Medical School.
Designed by Anastasios Metaxas, the building is a beautiful example of late neoclassicism in Athens. While the faculty of psychology had been in existence since 1891, the search for a permanent home ended in 1900 when a plot was purchased from the Petraki Monastery.
Named in honour of Eginition, a pioneer in the field of medicine, the hospital originally housed neuropsychiatric facilities. From 1963 until today, the hospital has also housed the neurology and psychiatric clinics of the University of Athens.