Athens Eye Hospital
Construction began here in 1847 under King Otto’s rule. Located at the corner of Panepistimiou and Sina Streets, it was based on designs by Theophile Hansen.
Building of the single-storey, neoclassical structure came to a halt due to a lack of funds. Three years later, work was resumed by Lysander Kaftantzoglou, who added the extension over the main entrance, giving the structure a distinctly Byzantine flavour. More alterations were carried after the building’s formal completion in 1855, including the addition of a new floor, a roof gallery and an outpatient building.
Passers-by are instantly drawn to the vivid contrast between the Eye Hospital and neoclassical Athenian Trilogy buildings nearby.