Construction began here in 1847 under King Otto’s rule. Located at the corner of Panepistimiou and Sina Streets, it was based on designs by Theophile Hansen.
Building of the single-storey, neoclassical structure came to a halt due to a lack of funds. Three years later, work was resumed by Lysander Kaftantzoglou, who added the extension over the main entrance, giving the structure a distinctly Byzantine flavour. More alterations were carried after the building’s formal completion in 1855, including the addition of a new floor, a roof gallery and an outpatient building.
Passers-by are instantly drawn to the vivid contrast between the Eye Hospital and neoclassical Athenian Trilogy buildings nearby.