The Antonopoulos Flats, or the Blue Building, is a six-storey structure from the 1930s, at the corner of Arachovis and Themistocleous Streets and overlooking Exarhia square.
Built between 1932 and 1933 from designs by Kyriakos Panagiotakos this building, admired by Le Corbusier, is a superb example of the ‘invasion’ of modernism in 1930s architecture. One of the first blocks of flats erected in the capital, the original blue color that gave rise to its nickname is now only faintly visible.
The building consists of two separate blocks, connected by a shared basement and attic. Originally built with 32 flats, seven were later added. The structure is notable for the symmetrical design of its common areas.
Maro Kardamitsi-Adami, architect and professor of the National Technical University of Athens, described it as a ‘vertical neighbourhood’.