Centre for Asia Minor Studies
Housed in an impressive two-storey building on Kydathineon street in Plaka, the Centre for Asia Minor Studies sits opposite the Byzantine Church of Metamorphosi. Erected in 1930, it was one of the first private buildings in Athens after the liberation.
Highlighted by two arched entrances, the building features an enclosed porch on the first floor and an arched portico on the ground floor facing the courtyard. Similar in design to many other old mansions of Athens, and with a stone staircase as well as a tall chimney, it is believed to be based on designs from a much earlier era.
According to architecture professor Kostas Biris, the builder consciously imitated older patterns, following the Romantic architectural movement. In the early 1980s the mansion was fully restored and renovated.