French Embassy

Based on designs by Anastasios Metaxas, this beautiful, 19th-century building at 7 Vasilissis Sofias Street is a good example of late neoclassicism.

Owned by Englishman Charles Merlin, a descendant of French revolutionaries, the building was let to the French Embassy in Athens in 1896. In 1914, the French government bought the building, renaming it Hôtel Merlin de Douai, in honour of Charles Merlin’s revolutionary ancestor.

Throughout the 20th century, the building underwent many renovations, the last being in the 1990s, under the direction of French architect Christian Duval.

Information
Address: 7, Vasilissis Sofias Ave, Athens
Area: Athens
Phone: +302103391000
Website: ambafrance-gr.org
Transportation: Metro Blue Line (3): Ambelokipi Station

More Architecture

Villa Galini

Poros

On the coastal road of Poros, between Mikro Neorion and Aspros Gatos (White Cat), you can see a...

ARZIA CECCOLI

Poros

During the 19th century, tuberculosis decimated young and old, rich and poor. The romantic...

Zappeion

Athens

Located next to the National Gardens, the Zappeion Mansion, or simply, ‘Zappeion’, as it is...