For nearly a century, Harokopeion University has been an important part of the community in Kallithea. Opened in 1929 as the Harokopios Girls Housekeeping and Professional School, it was founded by benefactor Panagis Harokopos in a building he constructed himself in the 1910s.
Always intended for educational purposes, the school became public in 1931 and, by 1934, was classified as a third-level technical school. After the war, following the addition of a two-year housekeeping-training course, the school was renamed the Housekeeping University in 1951.
During the 1980s its courses were further expanded to include dietetics and, after 1990, the school was upgraded to its current status as Harokopeion University. Covering 20 acres on Venizelou Avenue, the campus includes both modern and traditional buildings set amid lush greenery.