The Old City Hall
Designed by Panagiotis Kalkos, Old City Hall on Athenas Street was built between 1871 and 1874, during the mayoralty of Panagis Kyrakos.
Initially constructed as a two-storey building with a tiled roof and Doric entrance, it was aesthetically and architecturally related to the adjacent Varvakeios School (a neoclassical building, also designed by Kalkos, which was destroyed in 1944). In the 20th century, the City Hall underwent multiple renovations under mayors Spyros Merkouris in 1901, and Amvrosios Plytas between 1935 and 1937. A third floor was added to the building and extensive work carried out on its exterior decoration.
In the late 20th century, the building was listed as a protected building, and some of its exterior decorative elements were restored to their 19th-century style.