Parnassos Society Mansion
Built in 1890 from designs by army engineer Iphicrates Kokkidis, the mansion of the Philological Association of Athens, or ‘Parnassus’, in Karytsi Square, was constructed to meet the growing needs of the Association, which had grown significantly since its founding in 1865.
Today, the ground floor comprises an extensive library and bar. The first floor houses an event hall with 550 seats, fine architecture, and superb acoustics. The club’s administrative offices, boardroom, and Kostis Palamas – a smaller venue with 100 seats – are on the mezzanine. The top floor contains the Association’s permanent art collection.
Displayed prominently in one corner of the building’s exterior is a sign informing passers-by that, during the German occupation of 1941–1944, this building was used by the German military court, which sentenced thousands of Greek patriots to death.