Based on designs by architects Cimon Laskaris and Dimitrios Kyriakou, these flats were built between 1933 and 1935 as part of massive state intervention to house some of the thousands of refugees who had poured into the capital from 1922 until 1925.
Located on Alexandras Avenue, opposite Panathinaikos football field, this complex comprises 228 apartments occupying eight blocks. Built along the utilitarian lines of German functionalism, these simple, rectangular buildings were made of reinforced concrete and coated masonry, without decorative embellishment. Partially inhabited to this day, some of the units still bear visible scars from the bullets of the civil war of December 1944.
Though the area is currently being restructured, parts of the complex will be kept as a memorial to the role of refugees in the capital.