This imposing structure at the corner of Panepistimiou and Pesmazoglou Streets was built between 1846 to 1852 by architect Lysander Kaftantzoglou, in order to house the Girls School of the Athens Educational Society.
The site was originally purchased by the Educational Society after a nationwide appeal for funding, and additional financing was provided by Apostolos Arsakis, a prosperous Greek of the diaspora. Arguably the most authentic extant example of ‘Hellenised’ neoclassicism, the building has a majestic marble entrance flanked by two Doric columns, and a beautiful frieze of the goddess Athena created by Leonidas Drossis.
In the mid-1930s, the building was converted to accommodate shops, its new look based on designs by Emmanuel Kriezis. But in the 1980s, following work by Alexandros Kalligas to restore its original design, this building was used by the Council of State.