Eidek Castle in Bourtzi
Eidek Castle offers a great view of the entrance to Bourtzi Island’s cove. Now in ruins, the castle was built by the German military official, K. G. Eidek in 1827.
Sadly, the Chapel of St. Constantine, which had previously occupied the site, was demolished in order to allow the completion of the castle.
The castle was later used by Miaoulis during the civil conflict with Kapodistrias ace been declared an archaeological site.
Today, the uninhabited island can be accessend by the German Navy during their World War II occupation. After the war it became an ammunition warehouse and has sind by boat or by swimming.
More Ancient Sights
The Temple of HephaestusAthens
The Theseum, or Temple of Hephaestus, at the Ancient Agora is Athens’ best preserved and...
The Ancient AgoraAthens
During the antiquity, the Ancient Agora was the administrative and trade centre of the city; it...
Stoa of AttalosAthens
The Stoa of Attalos is the impressive restored building at the eastern side of the Ancient...
The Temple of PoseidonPoros
The Temple of Poseidon is located near the Church of the Prophet Elias, at the north-western...