Located on Anapafseos street near the banks of the Ilyssos River, Athens’ oldest cemetery is still in operation today. It was created in 1834 on land outside of the city limits, although its first graves now lie outside of the cemetery’s main walls.
In the southeastern corner of the cemetery is the Jewish Cemetery of Athens. Densely planted with pines, towering cypress trees and bushes, the First Cemetery is the final resting place for many important politicians, writers, artists and other well-known personalities. The premises also contain many works of contemporary art, primarily sculptures and architectural structures.