Fokianos Sports Club
These sports facilities bear the name of one of Greece’s most influential sports personalities, John Fokianos, who played a crucial role in the country’s athletic affairs during the last three decades of the 19th century. Though he studied at the University Faculty of Physics, he loved sports since childhood and pioneered the concept of using sports as a mandatory part of school curriculum. He also wrote many books on sports and fitness, which were considered somewhat radical at the time.
Fokianos became the director of the gym after it was built in 1878, establishing the first team of Greek athletes to use his modern methods. In 1891, he became a founding member of Panellinios Sports Club and he served as the club’s president until his death in 1896. Today, this historic club’s athletic facility is part of the Greek Ministry of Education.
From the first modern Olympic Games in 1896, until the Athens Olympic Games of 2004, these facilities have played a major role in Greek athletics.