Hydra Merchant Navy Academy
The story of the Merchant Navy Academy of Hydra begins in 1749, when a school was founded at St. Basil’s Church. Soon after that the island’s nobles decided to convert the facility to the Naval School of Hydra, which trained the sailors who fought gallantly during the struggle for Greek independence.
Many important Italian and Portuguese teachers taught naval art and foreign languages here. One of the Sicilian teachers, Felice Cazerta, even participated in the War of Independence aboard a ship from Hydra. In 1930, the school became a public institution, moving into a late 18th century building owned by Athanassios Koulouras and Anastassios Tsamados.