National Observatory of Athens
The National Observatory of Athens was built in 1842 and designed by Theophil Hansen. Initially funded by Georgios Sinas, the observatory is the oldest research foundation on the Balkan Peninsula.
In 1884, the Sinas family ceded the operation and maintenance of the observatory to the Greek state. In 1891, D. Eginitis established a seismology and meteorology network, and organised astronomy, geodynamic and meteorology departments at the observatory.
In its 170 years of operation, the National Observatory of Athens has never stopped developing and expanding, adding greatly to research, science and education.
Today it comprises five institutes and runs astronomical and seismic monitoring stations throughout Greece.