The Grave of Karaiskakis
Built in 1806, the Church of Agios Dimitrios is almost identical to the Faneromeni Monastery, though its belfry and right aisle, which are dedicated to Saint Raphael, were added at a later date.
The bishop’s throne and the altar were crafted by the famous sculptor Giannoulis Chalepas, and the interior has been decorated with eight large paintings drawn by Polychronis Lembesis.
One of the most important exhibits inside the church is the tomb of Georgios Karaiskakis, commander of the Revolution of 1821, buried here at his own request. The decoration on the patron saint’s icon was made using silver from Karaiskakis’ own pistols and cartridge belt.
During the reign of King Otto, some of the general’s bones were placed in a monument in Faliron. A bust of Karaiskakis can also be seen in the church’s courtyard