The Woodbreaker of Philippotis
Sculpted by Dimitris Philippotis, this masterpiece is displayed in the Zappeion Gardens, opposite Kallimarmaron stadium. Interestingly, though a model of the project was created in 1872, it wasn’t until 1908 that the final sculpture was completed and placed in the gardens.
Born in 1839 on Tinos, an island with a long tradition of sculpture, Dimitrios learned his craft from his father Zacharias. Assisting his father on many of his projects, Dimitrios later studied in Rome before moving to Athens.
His Woodbreaker is not strictly classical and the robustness of this sculpture combined with its graceful lines make it a true masterpiece.