The Athens-Piraeus Electric Subway station in Thission is the oldest metro station in Athens, and the oldest railway station in Greece. It initially took its name from the nearby Temple of Hephaestus, which, at the time, was erroneously believed to be the Temple of Thesseus.
Constructed in 1869, to connect Athens to Piraeus with a steam railway line, it was renovated and restructured prior to the Athens Olympic Games of 2004.
The site also maintains a machine house, side docks and a wagon depot line, where passengers can view older, out-of-service passenger cars and wagons. The distance from Thission to Monastiraki is a significant few-hundred metres, since both lines pass directly by the Ancient Agora and the old Athenian district of Monastiraki.