This small Athenian hill covers several acres above the district of Exarhia. Previously known by its ancient name Achesmos, the hill was later renamed Strefi Hill, after the family who owned the property.
From the 1840s until the 1920s, the hill operated a quarry, and in 1926, it was planted for the first time. In 1963, the Strefis family donated the hill to the municipality of Athens, which gradually converted it into a park with steep stone pathways, an open stone theatre, a playground, sports fields and snack bar. A few ouzo stands, taverns and cafés have opened in the area around the hill, a popular hang-out for Athenians on warm summer nights.
Recently, local residents and shop owners have undertaken to restore and rejuvenate the area.