The Field of Mars, also simply known as ‘The Park’ by locals, is a large public park adjacent to Alexandras Avenue. The park’s Heroes’ Avenue displays 16 marble busts of heroic soldiers from the Revolution of 1821.
Covering 250 acres, this green zone serves as an important source of fresh air for the densely populated capital. Decorated with sculptures and monuments from various historical periods, the park features a number of uniquely Mediterranean trees, shrubs, and other greenery.
During the 2000s, the park was completely restructured and its native plants were complemented by the addition of thousands of new Mediterranean flora. The park is also home to Hellenic Military Geographical Service (HMGS) facilities and the historic Panellinios Sports Club.
A playground, refreshment bars, two small churches, and an open-air theatre draw many visitors throughout the year.