Originally home to “the Beast”, the railway’s loud steam engine, this park was created in 1885 by the railroad company to compensate the residents of Kifissia who were disturbed by the sight and sound of the locomotive.
The compensation package included the company’s purchase of the area between the railway station and a lone tree that belonged to a wealthy merchant from Constantinople, Stephen Georganta. The adjacent pigsties and wasteland were also purchased, renovated and replanted, transforming the area into lush parkland.
Today, Kifissia Park is an exciting community centre. Many distinguished Athenians used to take the train every afternoon to have ice cream at the Park’s confectionary. Among them, El. Venizelos, G. Drossinis, A. Diligiannis, and E. Benakis.
Kifissia Annual Flower Show, hosted at the park every spring since 1937, is always a big draw.
Designed by architectural firm Renzo Piano Building Workshop, the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center (SNFCC) is a sustainable world-class cultural, learning and recreational urban complex......