Built between 1872 and 1873 for well-known businessman Andreas Syggros, the mansion was based on designs by Ziller. Syggros Manor first served as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which is now located next door. Construction was initially supervised by army engineer Nikolaos Soutzos, and later by the French architect Piat, who was also responsible for the building’s interior decoration.
During construction, the building’s owner altered Ziller’s designs, significantly changing its final appearance. After Syggros and his wife passed away, the mansion was given to the Greek State, on condition that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs should be housed here.
In the 1930s, ministry officials significantly upgraded the building. It was officially listed as a protected property in the 1970s.