The University of Athens
Founded in 1839, the University of Athens was built from the designs of Christian Hansen, the brilliant architect who aimed to create neoclassical buildings that would complement the city’s contemporary architecture.
Completed in 1864, the building benefited from many other fine architects, including Kaftantzoglou and Theophile Hansen. Many Greeks throughout the diaspora contributed to the significant undertaking.
The murals on the façade’s frieze were designed by the Bavarian Rahl, and painted by Polish artist Lebientzki after Rahl’s death. The façade is decorated with the busts of Rigas Feraios, the Patriarch Gregorios V, Adamantios Korais, Gladstone and Ioannis Kapodistrias.
When the Library and the Academy were finally completed, flanking both sides of the first structure, the neoclassical Athens Trilogy was now complete.