Kapnikarea

Kapnikarea Church stands out as a major landmark in Athens’ Byzantine past. Dating from the 11th century, the church lies in the middle of Ermou Street and is dedicated to the Presentation of the Virgin Mary.

The church was built atop an older, Christian temple, commissioned in the fifth century AC by the Byzantine empress Eudokia, wife of Theodosius the Younger. Constructed on foundations of the ancient temple of Athena or, perhaps, Demeter, Kapnikarea Church is today owned by the University of Athens.

The church’s three sections were built at separate times. In the early 20th century the chapel of St. Barbara was added to the northern section. Many of the interior murals were painted by famed artist Fotis Kondoglou.

The church was originally named Kamouharea, after the famous silk cloth workshops (kamouhades) that operated in the area. The temple was then renamed for its first owner who, according to tradition, collected the tobacco tax (kapnikos foros) in the city.

Information
Address: Pl. Kapnikareas, Athens
Area: Athens

Transportation: Metro Red (2) or Blue (3) Line: Syntagma Station

More Churches & Monasteries

St. Nicholas the Sailor

Aegina

Fittingly, visitors catch their first glimpse of this beautiful white church dedicated to Saint Nicholas the Sailor while approaching the port of Aegina by boat....

The Crypt of St. Philothei

North Suburbs

Discovered accidentally in 1934 during quarrying, the Crypt of Agia Philothei is a small natural cave, converted into a chapel by Rigoula Venizelou....

Saint Paul’s Anglican Church

Athens

Located at the end of Filellinon Street, this neo-Gothic Anglican church was built in the early 1840s of Hymettus marble and limestone brought in from the Corinth Canal....

St. Fotini

Athens

Built in 1872 near the banks of the Ilyssos River, the church of St. Fotini served the local parish....

St. Demetrius the Bombardier

Athens

Dedicated to St. Demetrius the Bombardier, this small church lies on the Dionysiou Areopagiti pedestrian area at the foot of Philopappos Hill....