Known to Athenians as the Russian Church, the Holy Church of Lykodemos Sotira is one of the oldest Byzantine churches in Athens, and also the largest. According to research and local tradition, this octagonal domed building on Filellinon Street was built before 1031, and replaced an 8th-century church on the site of a convent erected by the Athenian Empress Irene.
During the Frankish occupation and the early years of Ottoman occupation, the convent housed Catholic monks. Later, it was again converted into an Orthodox male monastery, which required major reconstruction following a devastating earthquake.
During the rule of Hasseki, many buildings were demolished to build the city’s wall, and the church was absorbed into the Kaisariani Monastery.
During the Revolution of 1821, the church again suffered extensive damage, and in 1847 was bought by the Russian government to serve the Russian community in Athens.
After the war, construction of the Bodossakis Megaron at 22 Amalias Street uncovered the monastery’s cemetery, and in 1960 a small park and square were built behind the church.