St. Nicholas the Sailor
Fittingly, visitors catch their first glimpse of this beautiful white church dedicated to Saint Nicholas the Sailor while approaching the port of Aegina by boat. In contrast to the neoclassical character that dominates the rest of the city, this little church has more affinity with the Cycladic style, with two domes and a single belfry.
One of the oldest churches on the island, it was mentioned by travellers as early as 1673. Tradition has it that craftsmen from Paros constructed the church, hence its Cycladic character. During its long life the church has undergone various renovations, each of which slightly altered its original character and aesthetic. This striking church is renowned for its beauty, and has been featured in many Greek films.