Agioi Isidoroi

The church of Agioi Isidoroi is an old, single-aisle basilica with a wooden roof. Built on the northwestern slope of Lycabettus Hill, part of the church is located on the great rock, and its altar is essentially a small cave. The church was rebuilt in the 1930s after being destroyed by a fire.

Accessible by cable car, or by steps leading up to St. George’s chapel on the hilltop, the church provides a sensational view of the city and the verdant slopes of Lycabettus. Some believe that there is a secret portal near the church that connects to a network of ancient underground paths leading to the sea, Mount Penteli, Mount Hymettus and other locations in the city.

Information
Address: Lycabettus
Area: Athens

More Churches & Monasteries

Penteli Monastery

North Suburbs, Penteli

Founded in 1578 by bishop Evripos Timotheos, a local saint of Attica, the all-male Penteli Monastery was built amid the lush greenery at the foot of Mount Penteli....