Agia Aikaterini

Located in Plaka, the church of St. Aikaterini was built in the mid-11th century. Byzantine experts believe this domed cross-in-square, four-aisled church was dedicated to Saint Theodoros, as indicated by the inscription on the marble column supporting the altar.

This church formerly served parishioners from the Alikokos neighbourhood in Plaka, just opposite the Choragic Monument of Lysicrates, which was later incorporated into the Catholic Capuchin Monastery. Its interior murals were painted in the late 19th century by G.D. Kafetzidakis.

Information
Address: 14, Chairefontos, Athens
Area: Athens
Phone: +302103228974
Transportation: Metro Red Line (2): Acropoli Station

More Churches & Monasteries

St. Demetrius the Bombardier

Athens

Dedicated to St. Demetrius the Bombardier, this small church lies on the Dionysiou Areopagiti pedestrian area at the foot of Philopappos Hill....

St. Marina Church (Thission)

Athens

Constructed between 1924 and 1927 on Observatory Hill in Thission, the Holy Church of Agia Marina was based on plans by Achilles Georgiadis....