Devoted to the archangels, this church stands at the site of a former Byzantine chapel. Built sometime in the 11th or 12th century, the original structure was almost entirely destroyed during the Revolution of 1821.
Located on Taxiarchon and Dexipou Streets, opposite the gate of the Roman Forum, this domed cruciform basilica features frescoes by famous Ionian painter D. Pelekasis. The modern church was built in 1852, using materials from the first church, as well as materials from other destroyed or demolished churches in the area. In 1922 the church was renovated and in 1945 the icon of Panagia Grigoroussa, from Asia Minor, was dedicated to the church.