Agios Elissaios

This simple, single-aisle basilica on 14 Areos Street in Monastiraki was built in the mid-17th century on the gardens of a mansion owned by the Athenian Homatianos-Logothetis family.

In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, this unimposing church hosted some of the most influential figures of the time, including cantors Alexander Papadiamantis and Alexander Moraitinis and clergy including father Nikolaos Planas, who was later canonised by the Orthodox church.

Under German occupation, before the land was officially acquired by the Greek state, a large part of the old church was destroyed.

After excavations here in 2004 uncovered many of these destroyed sections, the church has been extensively restructured to reflect its former glory.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Information
Address: 14, Areos Street, Monastiraki
Area: Athens, Monastiraki

Transportation: Metro Green (1) or Blue (3) Line: Monastiraki Station

More Churches & Monasteries

Russian Church

Athens

Known to Athenians as the Russian Church, the Holy Church of Lykodemos Sotira is one of the oldest Byzantine churches in Athens, and also the largest....

Saint Fotini Athens temple

St. Fotini

Athens

Built in 1872 near the banks of the Ilyssos River, the church of St. Fotini served the local parish....

The Crypt of St. Philothei

North Suburbs

Discovered accidentally in 1934 during quarrying, the Crypt of Agia Philothei is a small natural cave, converted into a chapel by Rigoula Venizelou....

Agios, Ioannis, Kynigos, Monastery

Agios Ioannis Kynigos Monastery

Agia Paraskevi, North Suburbs

The Agios Ioannis Kynigos (St. John the Hunter) Monastery is located on the northern side of Mount Hymettus, above the suburb of Agia Paraskevi....

Print Friendly, PDF & Email