Above the Kessariani Monastery is another convent, the Monastery of the Taxiarchs, popularly known as the Asteriou Monastery. Although local legend has it that the monastery is named for Saint Loucas of Styra, archaeological evidence does not confirm the theory.
The Catholicon is an Athenian-style, domed cruciform building composed primarily of limestone. Some historians believe that the monastery was built in the late 10th century on the site of the school of Diodorus the Philosopher. However, other researchers have dated the monastery’s Catholicon to the post-Byzantine era between 1453 and 1700 AC.
Nevertheless, it is generally agreed that its location is at least peripherally related to prevailing theories regarding to Diodorus the Philosopher and Saint Loucas. With its well-protected hillside location, the monastery has remained in fairly good condition. Though the climb is demanding, the beautiful sites at the top are well worth it.