The St. Dionysius Metropolitan Church
The St. Dionysius Metropolitan Church was constructed in the early 19th century with funding from the Holy Monastery of Chryssoleontissa. Despite its relative youth, the church is listed as a historical monument.
The basilica has three-aisles, each dedicated to a different saint: the centre to the Dormition of the Virgin Mary, the right aisle to the island’s protector, Saint Dionysius, and the left to Saint John the Theologian. The church’s belfry was designed by Stamatios Kleanthis and Edward Schaubert. Its domed interior is decorated with remarkable frescoes and a marble screen, and the chair of Ioannis Kapodistrias occupies the space opposite the bishop’s throne to this day.
The first governor of Greece, as well as members of the Pan-Hellenic Council of the modern Greek state, took their oaths of office here. Between 1827 and 1828 the church also housed the Hellenic Parliament.