Agios Ioannis Kynigos Monastery

The Agios Ioannis Kynigos (St. John the Hunter) Monastery is located on the northern side of Mount Hymettus, above the suburb of Agia Paraskevi.

Built in late 12th or early 13th century, the monastery’s catholicon (main church building) is a cruciform, double-column sanctuary. Among the prominent names mentioned in the monastery’s inscriptions are John the Baptist and Philosophos, a monk believed to come from the Philosophon Monastery in Arcadia.

The catholicon, along with the western pillar, has been well preserved and reveals a basic ‘rubble technique’, which involves overlaid rocks and brick-covered limestone. Marble is generously employed throughout the monastery. Built in the later years, the nave and catholicon are adorned with frescoes, while some Byzantine-era frescoes are partially visible in older sections of the monastery.

Today, the monastery operates as a nunnery.

Information
Address: Moni Agiou Ioannou Kinigou, Agia Paraskevi
Area: Agia Paraskevi, North Suburbs
Phone: (+30) 210 6659079
Transportation: Metro Red Line (2): Panepistimio Station

More Churches & Monasteries

Evangelical Church

Athens

Built in 1871, the Evangelical Church of Athens is located opposite the Columns of Olympian Zeus at the intersection of Lyssikratous Street and Amalias Avenue....

Ipapanti

Hydra

One of the most famous and historical churches of Hydra is the Church of Ipapanti....

Pantanassa

Athens

Located on Monastiraki Square, the Church of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary, or Pantanassa, was once called the Great Monastery, and today is known commonly as Monastiraki....

Panagia Gorgoepikoos

Athens

The 12th-century church of the Virgin Mary Gorgoepikoos is also known to Athenians as Agios Eleftherios, or the small cathedral....