St. George Lycabettus
This single-aisle, domed basilica perched atop Lycabettus Hill was built in the late 18th century. Earlier, during the period of foreign occupation, another Christian church occupied the site. In ancient times, there was an altar to Zeus Akraios at the top of the hill.
Based on pictures drawn by travellers of that time, researchers believe that the chapel of the Prophet Elias was located here before falling into disrepair before St. George was built. The church’s tall belfry was a gift from Queen Olga to the Athenian people in the late 19th century.
Inscriptions at the church indicate that there was once a small cemetery at the site. Today, there are two chapels lying adjacent to St. George, one dedicated to the Prophet Elias, the other to St. Constantine, both built around 1885.