Omorfoklissia (St. George)

On Veikou Street in Galatsi stands the elegant Church of St. George, widely known as Omorfoklissia, or ‘the beautiful church’. When viewed from the east, the church’s two arcades and chapel are clearly visible.

Its Athenian-style dome and brick-enclosed masonry date back to the late 12th century, according to modern research.

Both church and chapel are decorated with 13th-century frescoes, indicative of the artistic renaissance occurring at that time.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Information
Address: Church of St. George Omorfokklisias Galatsi
Area: Athens

More Churches & Monasteries

Russian Church

Athens

Known to Athenians as the Russian Church, the Holy Church of Lykodemos Sotira is one of the oldest Byzantine churches in Athens, and also the largest....

Saint Fotini Athens temple

St. Fotini

Athens

Built in 1872 near the banks of the Ilyssos River, the church of St. Fotini served the local parish....

Glyfada Basilica

Glyfada, South Suburbs

This fifth-century Christian church, though in need of repair, stands proudly on Poseidonos Avenue near Glyfada Square....

Petraki Monastery

North Suburbs, Penteli

The church of the Saints Asomatoi, is located near the Evangelismos Hospital, within the complex housing the Holy Synod of the Church of Greece....

Print Friendly, PDF & Email