The Averof Battleship
The Averof battleship is the most decorated ship in the Greek Navy.
Built in Italy and bought by the Greek government in 1909, this 10,000-ton armoured cruiser boasted the most modern weaponry of its time. It contributed greatly to the success of the Greek fleet in the Aegean, and to the liberation of the Greek islands during the Balkan Wars of 1912 and 1913.
Participating in naval operations until 1944, the Averof was decommissioned in 1952 and remained in Poros until 1983, when it was moved permanently to Phaleron Bay.
Today, this historic battleship has been converted into a naval museum, a moving memorial to Greece’s heroic sailors and naval officers, and a proud symbol of the strong bond between the Greek people and the sea for thousands of years.