The Gasworks Plant (Gazi)
The Athens Gasworks factory installation, or ‘Gazi‘, as most people call it, is near Pireos and Iera Odos streets.
The first, modest gasworks were built around 1860. The initial operator was Frangiskos Feraldis, followed by the Gas Lighting Company. It was purchased in 1938 by the municipality of Athens.
The plant soon expanded into a huge industrial complex comprising gas tanks, the still-preserved furnaces, various workshops, administrative quarters and warehouses. Its architectural forms followed the same principles as similar industrial buildings all over Europe, but it managed to include modernist decorative elements that are still prominent on the huge metal structural frames.
In 1984 the plant was closed; today the area is fully restored as the Technopolis-Gazi cultural venue, and hosts cultural events organised by the local council.
Designed by architectural firm Renzo Piano Building Workshop, the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center (SNFCC) is a sustainable world-class cultural, learning and recreational urban complex......