The Metochion of the Holy Sepulchre

The 17th-century church of Agioi Anargyroi originally opened as a convent, believed to have been owned by the prominent Kolokinthi family. Also known as the Metochion (embassy church) of the Holy Sepulchre, this single-aisle basilica is located at the Anafiotika in Plaka.

Having functioned as an embassy church since the 18th century, the Metochion hosts truly spectacular Easter celebrations. Designated as the point of initial reception of the Holy Light from the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, on the night of the Holy Resurrection the church attracts scores of visitors. This church, like many others in Greece, was built on a previously occupied site; it is believed that an ancient temple dedicated to Aphrodite once stood here.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Information
Address: Erechteos St, Anafiotika
Area: Athens

Transportation: Metro Red Line (2): Acropoli Station

More Churches & Monasteries

Saint Nikolaos Ragavas

Athens

Built in the 11th century, the church of Agios Nikolaos Ragavas in Plaka is based on the simple four-aisled, cross-in-square design....

Saint Paul’s Anglican Church

Athens

Located at the end of Filellinon Street, this neo-Gothic Anglican church was built in the early 1840s of Hymettus marble and limestone brought in from the Corinth Canal....

Saint Marina Thission Church Athens

St. Marina Church (Thission)

Athens

Constructed between 1924 and 1927 on Observatory Hill in Thission, the Holy Church of Agia Marina was based on plans by Achilles Georgiadis....

Saints Asomatoi Church

Athens

A short distance from the temple of Hephaestus in Thission, the church of Saints Asomatoi is a simple, cross-in-square church with a narthex and Athenian-style dome, supported by four columns....

Print Friendly, PDF & Email