Agios Ioannis Theologos Monastery

The Agios Ioannis Theologos Monastery lies on the western slope of Mount Hymettus, just above the Papagos cemetery. Surrounded by a rectangular enclosure is the four-column, cruciform church.

For years, archaeologists have debated the exact age of the monastery. Some believe that construction began in the 12th century and continued until the early post-Byzantine era, while others think it was built much later, in the 17th century. With valid arguments supporting both sides, the debate has yet to be settled.

Frescoes preserved in various parts of the catholicon have proved to come from the post-Byzantine era. Situated at the western part of the catholicon – the monks’ preserved refectory, complete with pantry and hearth – also dates to post-Byzantine times.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Information
Address: Papagou
Area: North Suburbs, Papagou
Phone: (+30) 210 6659079
Transportation: Metro Blue Line (3): Holargos Station

More Churches & Monasteries

Penteli, Monastery

Penteli Monastery

North Suburbs, Penteli

Founded in 1578 by bishop Evripos Timotheos, a local saint of Attica, the all-male Penteli Monastery was built amid the lush greenery at the foot of Mount Penteli....

Saint Paul’s Anglican Church

Athens

Located at the end of Filellinon Street, this neo-Gothic Anglican church was built in the early 1840s of Hymettus marble and limestone brought in from the Corinth Canal....

Print Friendly, PDF & Email