Glyfada Basilica

This fifth-century Christian church, though in need of repair, stands proudly on Poseidonos Avenue near Glyfada Square.

Uncovered during excavations in 1929, this three-aisle, naved basilica was probably destroyed in the sixth or seventh century, then rebuilt during the mid-Byzantine years. As was normal practice following the destruction of older churches, the new basilica was built with a smaller, single-aisle layout within the perimeter of the old basilica.

The church’s existence proves that the ancient municipality of Aixone was continuously inhabited until the time of Turkish occupation

Information
Address: Diadochou Pavlou 52-54, Glyfada
Area: Glyfada, South Suburbs

Transportation: Tram: Agg. Metaxa Station

More Churches & Monasteries

Pantanassa

Athens

Located on Monastiraki Square, the Church of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary, or Pantanassa, was once called the Great Monastery, and today is known commonly as Monastiraki....

Agios Elissaios

Athens, Monastiraki

This simple, single-aisle basilica on 14 Areos Street in Monastiraki was built in the mid-17th century on the gardens of a mansion owned by the Athenian Homatianos-Logothetis family....

Ipapanti

Hydra

One of the most famous and historical churches of Hydra is the Church of Ipapanti....

Kaisariani Monastery

Athens

Overlooking the Kaisariani district from a hill a short distance from Hymettus, the Kaisariani Monastery stands some 350 metres high....