Our Lady Chrysopolitissa

The Church of Our Lady Chrysopolitissa on Eolou Street is one of Athens’ most historically relevant churches. The first, medium-sized temple was built on this site under Ottoman occupation. Named after the Holy Monastery of the Great Cave of Mount Athos, the basilica had buttresses on its sides for structural support.

During the siege of the Acropolis by Kioutahi Pasha in 1826, the church was all but destroyed. In 1832 a new church was built to replace the original. A few years later the small church was deemed insufficient, and in 1846 residents began to collect funds to construct a new, larger sanctuary.

These efforts began with the purchase of adjacent lots. After a series of postponements, construction finally began in 1863. After 19 years, in 1892, the church was handed over to its dedicated parishioners by the last supervising architect Ziller, who also is said to have designed the screen.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Information
Address: 62, Aiolou St, Athens
Area: Athens

Transportation: Metro Red Line (2): Panepistimio Station

More Churches & Monasteries

Panagia, Grigoroussa

Panagia Grigoroussa

Athens

Built sometime in the 11th or 12th century, the original structure of this church was almost entirely destroyed during the Revolution of 1821....

Agioi, Theodoroi, church

Agioi Theodoroi

Athens

Considered one of the most important Byzantine monuments in Athens, the church of Agioi Theodoroi is located on Evripidou Street in Klafthmonos Square....

Dafni Monastery Chaidari Dafnaios

Dafni Monastery

Chaidari, West Suburbs

The Dafni Monastery is rumoured to have been built at the site of the ancient temple of Apollo Dafnaios....

Penteli, Monastery

Penteli Monastery

North Suburbs, Penteli

Founded in 1578 by bishop Evripos Timotheos, a local saint of Attica, the all-male Penteli Monastery was built amid the lush greenery at the foot of Mount Penteli....

Print Friendly, PDF & Email