Established in 1900, the National Gallery moved frequently before settling in its permanent home on Vasilos Konstantinou and Vasilissis Sofias Streets.
Until 1939, the gallery was located at the University of Athens. At the start of World War II, the collection was moved to the basement of the Archaeological Museum for preservation.
The gallery’s collections have expanded continuously, thanks to donations from private collectors such as Alexander Soutsos.
Much of the museum’s sculpture collection was moved to the National Glyptotheque located in Alsos Stratou in Goudi.