Pantanassa

Located on Monastiraki Square, the Church of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary, or Pantanassa, was once called the Great Monastery, and today is known commonly as Monastiraki. This 10th-century arched basilica was first mentioned in a 17th-century document when the church was managed as part of the Kaisariani Monastery.

Following Turkish occupation, the monastery adopted the name Mikromonastiro, which was later changed to Monastiraki (the little monastery). The monastery’s priories and market were located in what is still a shopping area today.

In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the monastery underwent extensive renovations, including the addition of a stone belfry. The main yard was also demolished to create a new, modern square.

In the late 20th century, another renovation almost fully restored the church to its original form, while maintaining the belfry.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Information
Address: Plateia Monastirakiou, Athens
Area: Athens

Transportation: Metro Green (1) or Blue (3) Line: Monastiraki Station

More Churches & Monasteries

Evangelical, Church

Evangelical Church

Athens

Built in 1871, the Evangelical Church of Athens is located opposite the Columns of Olympian Zeus at the intersection of Lyssikratous Street and Amalias Avenue....

Panagia, Grigoroussa

Panagia Grigoroussa

Athens

Built sometime in the 11th or 12th century, the original structure of this church was almost entirely destroyed during the Revolution of 1821....

Alimos Basilica

Alimos, South Suburbs

This sixth-century Christian basilica sits inside the grounds of the Zoodochos Pigi church....

Kapnikarea church Athens landmark

Kapnikarea

Athens

Kapnikarea Church stands out as a major landmark in Athens’ Byzantine past....

Panagitsa Church Aegina

Panagitsa Church

Aegina

Visible from the coast of Aegina, the magnificent church of Panagitsa is located just outside Aegina’s marina....

Saint Paul’s Anglican Church

Athens

Located at the end of Filellinon Street, this neo-Gothic Anglican church was built in the early 1840s of Hymettus marble and limestone brought in from the Corinth Canal....

Print Friendly, PDF & Email