Founded in 1578 by bishop Evripos Timotheos, a local saint of Attica, the all-male Penteli Monastery was built amid the lush greenery at the foot of Mount Penteli.
Devoted to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, the monastery was constructed with financial support from the Degleris family. The number of monks residing at the monastery rose to more than 100 after many who previously lived solitary lives in nearby caves relocated here.
Under Ottoman occupation, the monastery owned large tracts of land in the Penteli area and throughout Attica. Due to its longstanding relationship with the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the monastery was granted many privileges by the Ottomans.
With high walls and heavy wooden gates, the monastery’s exterior resembles a castle, while the interior buildings incorporate architectural elements from ancient churches.