Saint Paul’s Anglican Church

Located at the end of Filellinon Street, this neo-Gothic Anglican church was built in the early 1840s of Hymettus marble and limestone brought in from the Corinth Canal.

The cost of construction was covered entirely by the British government, the British Ambassador, and American and British Protestants living in Athens at the time.

According to Biris, the church was based on designs by Stamatis Kleanthis. However, other researchers attribute its construction to European architects, including the Dane Hansen and Englishman Charles Kokerel.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Information
Address: 27, Filellinon St, Athens
Area: Athens

Transportation: Metro Red Line (2): Acropoli Station

More Churches & Monasteries

Panagitsa Church Aegina

Panagitsa Church

Aegina

Visible from the coast of Aegina, the magnificent church of Panagitsa is located just outside Aegina’s marina....

The Crypt of St. Philothei

North Suburbs

Discovered accidentally in 1934 during quarrying, the Crypt of Agia Philothei is a small natural cave, converted into a chapel by Rigoula Venizelou....

Agios, Ioannis, Kynigos, Monastery

Agios Ioannis Kynigos Monastery

Agia Paraskevi, North Suburbs

The Agios Ioannis Kynigos (St. John the Hunter) Monastery is located on the northern side of Mount Hymettus, above the suburb of Agia Paraskevi....

Saint Nikolaos Ragavas

Athens

Built in the 11th century, the church of Agios Nikolaos Ragavas in Plaka is based on the simple four-aisled, cross-in-square design....

Print Friendly, PDF & Email